Tuesday, July 20, 2010
A Love So Deep
My grandparents just celebrated their 60th Wedding Anniversary. I sat down with them to learn more about how they met and this is their story.
One evening when Grandma was visiting her girlfriends house in California she met my grandpa. Grandma says, " All of a sudden a handsome slender man came around the corner." He was her "prince charming." Charming indeed as he came around the corner in - nothing but a bathrobe. A passion was ignited between them on that day. Shortly after they started seeing each other. Grandpa tells of taking a paper route together so they could be with each other every day. They started dating in January and on May 13, 1950, five months later, they were married.
They had been only married a couple of months when Grandpa was called up for active duty in Korea. With tears and goodbyes to each other they made a promise. They would write each other every day.
The letter's to this day are kept close to each other's hearts. So secret that when we recently came across them, one quick word from my Grandpa meant they were not to be open and read.
I didn't need to read them. Instead the words on those pages were actually played out right before my eyes in a beautiful, passionate love story over the last 60 years. A love so deep and admiration for each other that it makes me want to somehow bottle it up and drink a little bit of it every day!
My grandparents seem to be aging. They just moved into their new retirement home. Grandma has parkinson's disease. Grandpa just celebrated his 86th birthday. Through out the years their love for each other still remains strong. Although during the visit Grandpa quipped, "Your grandma and I never thought of divorce...maybe murder!" I was surprised to hear him say these words. He followed up with not all marriages are always perfect you know. Then he looked at Grandma and said, "They say it only gets better," and with that boyish grin, replied," I don't know if I can stand it!"
The day I was leaving I heard them talking before they got out of bed the next morning. They were talking about how each new day with each other was an adventure. They wanted to have twenty more years together. A love so deep and full it is overflowing and contagious!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment