When the Heaventrain bus pulled up I saw a pile of clothes by the black iron fence. It was curled up in a tight ball. A shirt and pants. Nothing unsual.
Then I saw a shoe with a foot attached to it. It was a Heaventrain kid!
My heart sunk to the bottom of my chest. Here was a little boy sleeping on the cold concrete. He came to Heaventrain but fell asleep before he could get on the bus.
I walked over and tried to wake him up. His little head rolled to the side and he was back to sleep. He was using the cold concrete for a pillow.
It looked uncomfortable.
He looked forgotten.
It was sad.
He smelled of urine.
His clothes were covered with dirt.
But this was one of my kids and I could not leave him like this.
I sat down next to the fence and picked him up. He took his head and put it on my shoulder and went right back to sleep.
While I was sitting there I started seeing myself as this little boy. Wrapped up in my Heavenly Father's arms finding quiet rest.
He slept for two hours on my shoulder. As the kids were leaving a little girl came up, put him on her back, and carried him home.
Urban ministry is unique.
It is not predictable.
It takes you out of your comfort zone.
It can be amazing.
It can be heart-breaking.
Experiencing it can be the best thing that every happens to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment