Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Perfect Fit

It's been awhile since I checked in. I have been very busy! I taught my first time on Heaventrain. The most people I've ever taught before was probably 25-50. I knew it was going to stretch me and challenge me. I'm so glad I took the step!  I had a total of 784 kids and families on Heaventrain that Saturday. I hope to repeat this experience again.
 I have been without a job since March. I was contemplating returning to school. I also was looking for a job in the Central neighborhood. I had been sending out resumes and only a few hits with little hope of a job.
I filled my time by volunteering in the Central community. I mentor with CMHA PAL, the Police Athletic League. I am very impressed with the young lady I mentor. She is smart, energetic and full of life! We both love to watch Cake Boss and tacos are one of our favorite foods.

The latest development, I now have a job. To my surprise I found a perfect fit! I am an Americorps member with Lighthouse, Inc and the Communities First Association. In November they hired me, and another lady from the community, to do asset based community development in the Central neighborhood. I receive a monthly stipend, education stipend, and my volunteering with tutoring, mentoring, and Heaventrain can count towards my hours needed for the job. I think it's pretty cool!

I was surprised when I met the other Americorps member Lighthouse hired. She is the mother of the young lady I mentor! We will be working side by side. We spent a couple of days in training in Chi-town, with 30 other Americorps members from around the US. We met at the Cinacle Sisters Retreat Center, a convent and retreat facility. It's very quiet and serene, a perfect place to spend a personal retreat.

I tutor at East Tech High School once a week. I have never been a tutor before but thanks to our great group of former teachers who have experience, I am learning a lot.

The group of tutors last year saw a measured improvement in the students and experienced an average growth of 2-3 grade levels in reading and math.

 It has not been easy this year. With all the shake up and changing of schools there have been difficulties. My first week one of my young men was suspended. Then I find out he is transferring to another school. I'll start with another new young man this coming week.

My other student is bright and an excellent reader. He comes each week on his own and is eager to read together. Our typical schedule, he starts by reading out loud for 30 minutes and then he writes in his journal another 20 minutes. The last 20 minutes we work on his homework.  He usually brings his math homework. I think I'll pick up Algebra for Dummies the next time I'm at the library. I sure could use a refresher course.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Thank you for the nice comments each week. I'd love to hear about your own Americorps experiences or asset based community development going on in your communities.



No comments:

Post a Comment